Many of us are finding ourselves searching for new things to do to stay entertained and keep things exciting at home. That's why we put together a list of 20 ideas for things you can do at home to keep yourself and your quarantine buddies entertained. Read on to learn more, and continue to spread your love and support to the Lakeview community and neighborhood businesses.
As a reminder, please consult resources provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Illinois Department of Public Health, and Chicago Department of Public Health before making any decisions that could put your health or the health of others in jeopardy.
1. Create themed nights, such as Italian night. Order Italian food from a local restaurant and watch a movie based in Italy.
2. Put on your Cubs gear, order game day food for takeout and watch the Cubs win the World Series in 2016 on YouTube here. There's nothing like reliving this amazing day.
3. Download the Music Box Direct streaming service and have movie nights at home. They are offering a free 7-day trial! Make your movie nights official with candy and popcorn from Candyality, as they offer curbside pickup this Saturday, 4/11.
4. Cook with your kids with The Kids Table virtual cooking classes. You can even order a Meal Prep Kit from them for their Virtual Pizza Parties each Friday afternoon. You can also book them for a private virtual cooking class with your family!
5. Shop the online stores of local boutiques to update your lounge wear wardrobe. See a list of online shops here.
6. If you just want to let loose and shake your groove thing, check out Arthur Murray Lakeview's dance videos on their Facebook page to learn some new moves and then listen to their Spotify playlist to dance the night away in your home!
7. Find moments to relax with a cup of CBD tea from Discover CBD or HuxHemp while you light a scented candle from Waxman Candles.
8. Start learning a new instrument. Chicago Music Exchange has an amazing selection online.
9. Have a beer tasting at home. You can order delivery from Bitter Pops, curbside pick from Beermiscuous or The Green Lady, or delivery/curbside from Corridor Brewery and have yourself an at-home tasting experience.
10. Enjoy Wine Wednesday with friends via Zoom. Coordinate with friends to order the same bottle of wine from Craft & Barrel and taste it together as you connect each week.
11. Enjoy a virtual meditation with The Peace School. Sign up to their eNewsletter to get updates on class times.
12. Watch Theater Wit's performance of Teenage Dick which is available for streaming online or enjoy virtual performances from ComedySportz.
13. Entertain your kids with a virtual music class with The Music Playhouse of Chicago.
14. Find ways to rearrange or freshen up your space, such as by bringing some new plants or flowers into your home or ordering furniture from Wrightwood Furniture. Thank you to That's Amore Florist and Ashland Addison Florist for offering No Contact Delivery!
15. Take virtual fitness classes to stay active and change up your days with different workouts. You can find a list of local fitness studios offering virtual workouts here.
16. Have a fiesta at home! Order your favorite Mexican dishes from a local restaurant and play some Mariachi music. You'll be dancing and having flashbacks of Lakeview Taco Fest in no time.
17. Now is the perfect time to start a puzzle or get some fun new toys for your kids. Check out Building Blocks Toy Store's selection on their online shop.
18. Listen to some new podcasts. Eclectic Full Contact Theatre have a great podcast called Throwing Shade, which is a 1930s radio satire with new episodes every Wednesday.
19. Support local non-profit, Lakeview Pantry, who is doing so much to help those with food insecurity in our community. They have already seen a 40% increase in people requesting food assistance and a 25% increase in social services (including mental health counseling). Take some time to learn more about their mission and donate here.
20. Support essential workers by ordering coffee or food to be delivered to them by Heritage Bicycles or 4 Star Restaurant Group.